We just got a notice from National Service Dogs that they're changing their protocol. Instead of two weeks notice, families will be given 8 weeks notice if they will be invited to a training session. They also mentioned that the families for the spring training have been notified. Since we didn't get a notice, then we must not be up for a dog.
The news hit me surprisingly hard. Despite my attempts to be cool and zen about it, I must have gotten my hopes up more than I'd realized.
It's been two years since our application was approved. Two years of waiting and fundraising and feeling a little like a fish out of water since we can't participate the way families closer to the actual NSD headquarters can. I've wondered if we've become a bit "out of sight, out of mind" for the planners (even though they've stressed over and over again that they will match the best possible dog to the the family, which may mean longer waits for some).
Maybe I'm just rolling on a bit of a depression from the bad news. Maybe it's my inherent difficulty with long-term uncertainty (easier to tell myself it's not happening than to be constantly anticipating and disappointed). NSD is a good group and they seem to genuinely care about both the families and the dogs. Maybe we'll be lucky and get called up in the fall.
Meanwhile, I resign myself to at least another 6 months of waiting and I'll try not to get my hopes up as the fall session draws nearer.
Post a Comment